2007年12月3日 星期一

ARTIST STATEMENT REFLECTION

Hsin-Wei Hsu
REFLECTION ON ARTIST STATEMENT

I have attended the english class for one month and I learned a lot. I was so surprised that this english class is not like the traditional english class, for example, there were no text books and we did not sit there and listen to what the teacher said. We had to discuss our opinions with each other, we had to do practice that combine with reading, listening and writing skills, also, we had to do the research by ourselves. Although it was a challenge for me, I still felt good. I think it is a efficient way to improve my english ability.

For the artist's statement assignment, we read some artist's statements at first. I think it is helpful for writing our own statement. There are different components and styles in a artist's statement. After reading these statements, I can understand the basic form of it. Also, I saw the Amy Guggenheim's video. She mentioned about many important ideas about artist's statement which were very helpful for me. At that class, I could not only learn how to write my statement, but also practice my english.

In the class, I talked about my idea with my classmates and I got feedback form them, also, they got the feedback from me. It was very good practice for me, because to study in the US, this skill is very important. For example, we read others' statements and use our own opinion to gave feedback. We had good interaction with each other. Also, group discussion is very important. I can learn how to negotiate idea with my group members and how to cooperate with my classmates as a team work.

I like the artist's statement presentation. In the presentation, I understood my classmates more, I knew their ideas about art, what are they studying right now, it was very interesting. As a painter, the artist's statement is very important fro me, and I am glad that I have my basic version of statement now. As the teacher said before, I will have many chances to do my presentation in the future, so I think it is good for me to practice it as soon as possible.

As a graduate student, I need many skills for doing my study, and I think the english class can really help me to learn these skills.

沒有留言: